Do you want to gain hands on experience in the lab or the field in an entry level IT position? Then the CompTIA A+ certification is for you.
Globally recognised validation of your ability
An internationally sought after qualification for computer technicians.
Learn the skills required to install, configure, upgrade and maintain PC workstations, the Windows OS and SOHO networks.
Average salary starts at £23,250 in an entry level position but increases for experienced technicians.
What is the CompTIA A+?
Are you ready to take your first step into the exciting world of IT?
CompTIA A+ is the certification to get you up and running. Covering the most common software and hardware used today, you’ll get a firm grounding in all of the basics you need to open the door to your new IT career. Learn about everything from hard drives to CPUs, and get to grips with Windows and Linux in hands on virtual practice labs.
With the IT industry growing day by day, and new opportunities always around the corner, there has never been a better time to get started.
What are you waiting for?
Your quick course guide
Certification: CompTIA A+ IT Technician 2015
Study time: Full time - 15 to 20 days | Part time - three to four months
Student support: StudentCare™ and expert mentors
Prerequisites: None but we recommend a basic understanding of computer systems and network technologies, or some hands on experience and/or 12 months work experience
Assessment: Exam based - CompTIA 220-901 + 220-902
Resources: Internet access and email
Ideal for: PC support, IT and user support, IT manager, helpdesk engineer or desktop engineer
Included in your modules
CompTIA A+ 220-901
- Configure and apply BIOS settings
- Differentiate between motherboard components, their purposes and properties
- Compare and contrast RAM types and features
- Install and configure expansion cards
- Install and configure storage devices and use appropriate media
- Differentiate among various CPU types and features and select the appropriate cooling method
- Compare and contrast various connection interfaces and explain their purpose
- Identify types of network cables and connectors
- Explain properties and characteristics of TCP/IP
- Explain common TCP and UDP ports protocols and their purpose
- Install and configure laptop hardware and components
- Compare and contrast the components within the display of a laptop
- Compare and contrast laptop features
- Explain the differences between the various printer types and summarise the associated imaging process
- Given a scenario install and configure printers
- Operational procedures
- Using appropriate safety procedures
- Explaining environmental impacts and the purpose of environmental controls
CompTIA A+ 220-902
- Compare and contrast the features and requirements of various Microsoft operating systems
- Given a scenario install and configure the operating system using the most appropriate method
- Given a scenario use appropriate operating system features and tools
- Setup and configure Windows networking on a client/desktop
- Apply and use common prevention methods
- Compare and contrast common security threats
- Implement security best practices to secure a workstation
- Explain the basic features of mobile operating systems
- Establish basic network connectivity and configure email
- Compare and contrast hardware differences in regards to tablets and laptops
- Given a scenario explain the troubleshooting theory
- Given a scenario troubleshoot common problems related to motherboards
- RAM CPU and power with appropriate tools
- Given a scenario troubleshoot hard drives and RAID arrays with appropriate tools
- Given a scenario troubleshoot common video and display issues
Get certified the Learning People way
Professional development that works around you
- World's #1 eLearning portal
- 12 months unlimited access
- Expert mentors
- Global community of peers
- Test prep
- Hands on interactive Practice Labs
- Content approved by CompTIA
- Award winning training used globally by leading corporate clients
Why join us?
- Award winning customer support
- We know the job market inside out
- Trusted by the giants
- Value for money
- CV detox - exclusive to our students
- We're with you from start to finish
- Expert career advice
- Progress reports
- Exam booking support
- All UK students receive an NUS student discount card
- Your success is our success